Understanding the signs and symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea could help you prevent a lifetime of risks & complications that often result because most people are unaware that they are suffering from this common illness.
Please keep in mind that obstructive sleep apnea currently affects up to 200,000 people in the United States every year, however this number is under reported because many people have yet to receive a diagnosis as the symptoms often mimic other illnesses.
If you are suffering from obstructive sleep apnea, then pay attention to the following early warning signs & symptoms:
- Concentration issues
- Trouble remembering details
- Issues taking care of payments of other financial affairs
- Trouble with driving, including increased motor vehicle accidents
- Difficulty experienced performing employed work
- Lack of interest of working on hobbies
- Daytime sleepiness and fatigue even though you consider yourself “well rested”
- Morning headaches
- Waking up to a dry mouth and/or sore throat
- Overall reduced quality of life
These are the subtle signs that often get worse over time. If you find yourself suffering from either of these (or all of them) on a daily basis, then we strongly urge you to consult with a sleep apnea dentist, such as Dr. Risos of Chula Vista.
Major symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea include:
- Loud and chronic snoring that often disrupts a significant other
- Pauses in breathing
- Choking, snorting, or gasping during sleep
- Waking up at night feeling short of breath
Learn Your Treatment Options
Many people with obstructive sleep apnea have yet to receive an accurate diagnosis, which puts them at risk in developing many illnesses associated with the disorder.
To learn more about treatment options, please contact our sleep apnea dentist in Chula Vista, Dr. Deanna Risos, by calling 619.482.8880 or by filling out our online contact form.